Wonderful Wednesday 06

4 May 2016

Gorgeous blossom on sunny May Day

Ok, Wednesday really snuck up on me this week. I suppose a three day weekend will do that to a person, but a short week is the best kind of almost forgotten-surprise, right?! I do feel like I'm owed an extra day to tack onto the end of the weekend though. I went to a bar after a concert on Friday night (more on that below), ordered a gin and elderflower cocktail, was drinking and chatting happily before suddenly feeling all kinds of horrid. It turns out the cocktail also contained a dash of pale ale, which made this coeliac feel eight hundred different shades of awful. I spent all day on Saturday in bed feeling terrible with the worst migraine I've had in a long time. Bad gluten.

It's funny, things are getting so much better for coeliacs and the gluten-intolerant in general, and my knowledge of it is so much better but there are still some things that surprise me. Ale in a gin-based cocktail? No, still doesn't make sense to me. Could be another sign from the universe telling me to avoid gin though...hmmm can't be that.

The next few days were tip top though so without further ado, here are some of my weekly highlights...

♥ Cheese... I'm sitting here nibbling a small chunk of cheddar writing this round-up, while the mister makes our dinner (I know, I'm very lucky) and musing on how much I adore cheese. Cheese isn't just for Christmas, you know, it makes a fantastic snack, a wonderful accompaniment to port and crackers, goes superbly atop a pizza and is smashing when grated onto a baked potato or bowl of rice. I've heard some people don't like cheese, crazy thought that that is. What's this world coming to?! They may have a point when it comes to blue cheese though, that's the stuff of nightmares.

♥ Tindersticks in concert... I know that Tindersticks' new album made it onto a previous Wonderful Wednesday list and on Friday night we saw them in concert at the Barbican. It's the second time I've seen them live and they always do a great concert - on Friday they played their new album in its entirety, which was stunning, as well as performing some of my favourite songs of theirs amongst others. The Barbican is a great venue too and even if you're right up in the Gods, as we were, you still have an excellent view of the stage.

♥ Three day weekends... How many of us will be putting this on our lists this week...or am I just very predictable? They are wonderful treats though - I feel like I've been looking forward to this one for weeks. Saturday's migraine aside, it was a wonderful weekend. On Sunday, the mister and I went to my parents' house for lunch. My brother and his lovely girlfriend were there too, and my nanny who I don't see nearly enough. Lots of love, laughter and good food, an excellent day. On Monday I went to watch the new Captain America: Civil War movie, which I was SO geekily excited about and I'm happy to say that it did not disappoint. Loved it. Afterwards, we went for beer and burgers to talk about the movie - the perfect ending to the day.

♥ Five year diary...The mister bought me a five year diary for Christmas and I'm already excited at the prospect of completing it and being able to look back on random days that I would otherwise completely forget about. I'm not going to lie, some days it's hard to even fill the few lines set out but this week I've really enjoyed writing in it - it must be the three day weekend making things just that bit easier!

♥ Old friends... Particularly the joy of long conversations with old friends who you haven't spoken to in a little while (work / babies tend to get in the way) but can pick up exactly where you left off and it feels like you're laughing the entire time. I had a lovely catch up over the phone with one of my oldest friends this week - come September, we'll have been friends for 24 years!

♥ Holiday planning... Having been on honeymoon last year, we agreed that this year would be a little light on the holiday-front - we have a trip to Ireland for a wedding in summer and a short trip to Germany at the end of this month. I need to find which box we packed our Germany guidebook into and start to ramp the planning up a notch - exciting times!

And look at that, we're at the halfway point in the week already, good ol' three day weekends! Hope you've all had wonderful weeks!

♥ Do let me know what's made your week a little rosier by leaving me a comment below (I do love comments!) or dropping me a tweet (I'm @happygoluckycat) or better yet, why not join the fabulous bunch of #WonderfulWednesday bloggers? Pop over to their blogs for a dose of mid-week happiness - SallyMichelleHelenKateJoEmma and Kate - and then join me in counting down the days until the weekend. It's in sight! 

2 comments

  1. I catered for a coeliac on Sunday and was surprised at the lack of choice in the supermarkets. We fund out he was a coeliac at the last minute so we ran round the shop like we were on supermarket sweep making sure he had something for cricket tea. I've never read so many labels!
    I am all for cheese, but agree - no blue cheese here. I can't think about eating something that is mouldy. Brie, Cambembert, chedder - so much goodness!
    Wasn't it glorious to have an extra day off? It almost crept up on me which makes it even sweeter. Good to hear you used yours to maximum effect. I just chilled!
    Have a fabulous rest of your week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I entirely forgot to mention the 3 day weekend, duh! That did of course make me exceedingly happy! Glad you enjoyed Civil War too! x

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Happy Go Lucky Cat. Design by FCD.