Wonderful Wednesday 35

5 April 2017


35 weeks of wonderful - alas, not all in a row, but still a lot of wonderful to be proud of! Easter's in sight now, which I'm really excited about. A few days off, with a family gathering in between and a day out with my Dad and brother on the Saturday. But I'm skipping ahead of myself...this last week has been pretty exciting too. Let's catch up...I've got a cup of tea and a gluten free hobnob beside me while I write this - hope you have something sweet too.

****

♥ Days off... Nothing beats that feeling of setting your out of office for a few days off...and then happily tweeting about it on the train home! (It almost makes up for the feeling of woe when turning it off again the following Monday...)


♥ Visitors... My husband's sister was visiting us for a week from Germany with her husband. I was working for the first three days unfortunately but skipping excitedly out of the office on the Wednesday evening for a glorious two days off was the best feeling. I met them at one of our favourite curry restaurants that evening for a dinner I had been looking forward to all day - do you find that when you have exciting dinner plans you find yourself feeling hungrier all day long in anticipation? I even branched out from my usual curry choice and may have found a new favourite dish...exciting times indeed. We visited the Harry Potter Studio Tour on the Thursday, which I have raved about excitedly in a post all to itself - here, and on the Friday we took a train out of London to visit Brighton.



♥ Daytrips to the Sea... We picked a really wonderful day to visit Brighton! The morning wasn't looking great - I peered out of my curtains at grey skies, with a hint of rain, and thought that at least our visitors would be getting an authentic British trip to the seaside. But by the time that our train pulled into Hove, the sun was shining gloriously and it was almost warm enough to sit outside for our lunch. We took the train to Hove rather than Brighton so that we could get some fish and chips for lunch, choosing Wolfies of Hove as they also offer gluten free fish and chips (they have a separate fryer so can always offer gluten free options).



I think out of all the gluteny options around, fish and chips is what I miss the most. They were really worth the wait though - haddock and chips for me, and despite opting for the regular size it was HUGE.  I can proudly say that there wasn't a crumb left at the end but thank goodness for the walk beside the sea afterwards and the fresh air to clear out the vinegar.

For being so close to London, I don't really know Brighton that well at all. We wandered around the Lanes area to begin with, which has lots of interesting little independent shops and restaurants, before heading to the sea front via the Pavilion. Lots of walking in the sunshine with plenty of breaks for a drink or a snack, in other words the perfect day!

♥ Nesting... As much as I love having people to stay, there's also something pretty special about having the place to yourself again when they've left. Am I right or just a hermity creature? I cleaned to my little heart's content on Saturday as the flat had reached that level of 4 people under one roof that I had been itching to tidy for a day or so - the sun shone, I hung the laundry out on the line to dry (fresh sheets!), we bought pizzas and curled up on the sofa in front of the first Harry Potter film. It was absolute bliss.

♥ All of the blossom... Ahhh this never gets old. I am so excited about the slightly warmer weather, the blue skies and the beautiful blossoming trees. My favourite is the magnolia tree in a church close to my office (snapped at the very top of this post) - the buds have been looking so promising over the last few weeks but when I returned to work this week, the flowers were out in all their pink glory. So so beautiful.


♥ Reading... I'm in the middle of an amazing book at the moment, which I picked up completely by chance in Waterstones when having a browse recently. It's called 'The Other Mrs Walker' and I just don't want to put it down. It goes back and forth between wartime London and modern-day Edinburgh, as the protagonist tries to unravel the mystery of an old woman who died alone in a freezing cold flat one new year. It's fantastic, really reminds me of Kate Atkinson in style. Highly recommended already. After that I have the new Jilly Cooper lined up to read - quite different but I can't wait! What have you been reading recently? Any recommendations?

♥ Do let me know what's made your week a little rosier by leaving me a comment below (I do love comments!) or dropping me a tweet (I'm @happygoluckycat) or better yet, why not join the fabulous bunch of #WonderfulWednesday bloggers? Pop over to their blogs for a dose of mid-week happiness - SallyMichelleHelenKateJoSamanthaKerri, LauraSarahPetaElLauraSarahMimmiJasminMartinaLynseyKatieDebbie and Kelly (I think that's everyone - shout at me if you're not on the list!) - and then join me in counting down the days until the weekend. It's in sight! 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Happy Go Lucky Cat. Design by FCD.