Wonderful Wednesday: December 2018

2 January 2019


Rounding-off a year's worth of Wonderful Wednesdays with a summary of December's highlights and what a splendid December it was!

I'm finishing this off on the first Wednesday in January, back to reality with a heavy bump so this reminiscing is very much needed! I've got the Christmas tree twinkling beside me, enjoying the last few days before having to take it down this weekend. Christmas seems to disappear faster and faster each year, as does the year itself. It's a real treat to be able to take the time to stop and look back at some of my favourite moments, to savour them just that little bit longer.

****

♥ Galleries aplenty... I was lucky to be able to visit lots of galleries over the course of December, visiting the incredible Burne-Jones exhibition for a second time as well as a few hours wandering the National Gallery one evening between Christmas and New Year (including a veritable scrum around Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers'), and a last minute invitation to a Yayoi Kusama exhibition in East London just before Christmas.


All incredibly different but offering so much to think about in their own ways. More art this year please.



♥ Puppy spotting... A highlight of *any* month but December's puppy spots were particularly special. One Christmas shopping trip included both a baby boxer dog and a 10 week old black velvet pug puppy. The latter was particularly excited to stop for some friendly behind-the-ear scritches and it made my whole day (/month!)

♥ Trips to the theatre... Not one but two trips, in fact! The week before Christmas, I watched a performance of the Box of Delights, which is an old children's story but one which my brother and I discovered through the magic of a slightly terrifying 1984 adaptation that we were bought on video when we were really young and watched obsessively for years afterwards. I  only actually read the book recently but have the ability to quote the TV series almost verbatim. So, when we saw that this was being dramatised in London over Christmas, we had to go and dragged our long-suffering other halves along too. (Who doesn't love being quoted at really?!) It was absolutely magical - they'd made some changes to the plot as I know it, included some wonderful Christmas carols and some amazing puppetry (honestly, the dog was incredible). I may have cried a few times but all good tears and came away feeling so ready for Christmas. It was being shown in Wilton's Music Hall - a gorgeous old music hall in Whitechapel, which was a magical experience in and of itself, such an amazing building with so much history. If you get the chance to visit, do.


Between Christmas and the New Year, we also donned our gladrags and went to watch the Nutcracker at the London Coliseum. This was a gift for my mother in law, bought at the beginning of the year so we'd had a long time to build up our expectations and it did not disappoint in any way I've seen this ballet a few times now but I think this was my favourite interpretation yet. It was over far too quickly.

♥ Christmas... Christmas this year was such a delight and will always be one I'll treasure because it was the first time that my husband and I hosted Christmas dinner in our own house. There were 7 of us in total in the day, which coming from an Irish family is a relatively small number, but it was still enough when you're juggling 800 roast potatoes and trying to keep the turkey hot. It all came together though and I felt so very grateful as we were all seated round the table toasting the day, arguing over the bread sauce and reading out bad cracker jokes.



♥ The time between Christmas and New Year... I stumbled across a tweet by Matt Haig on Twitter, which said "I love this time of year. I LOVE it. I know we are meant to say 'oh that weird limbo between Christmas and New Year, fuck that' but why? No work. No emails. No expectation. No rat race. No knowing what the actual day is. This is the calendar's safe space. It's bliss." and it summed up the time between Christmas and New Year so perfectly for me, whilst at the same time making me appreciate it so much more. I adore Christmas so much and have a tendency to start feeling slightly down on Christmas Eve because it's all almost over but this made me stop and think, and really relax. It is that one time of the year when you can put everything else to one side for a few blissful days.

♥ My own little desk... We hauled the table we've been using in the garden over the summer out of the shed to add extra length to our dining room table for Christmas day. (Long, tenuous intro but bear with me...) Rather than put it away after Christmas passed, I've popped it in the corner of the room, covered it in a table cloth and am using it as my own little writing table - a little space just for me, where I've popped all of my notebooks and pens, and can sit down to draw/journal/daydream away from the kitchen table. I'm loving it! It's a temporary fix because I'd love a proper desk but that's not high on the list of other things we need right now so this will do for the time being...and hopefully encourage me to spend more time doing all of the above!



♥ Wintery walks... I know I've said this a few times already but it's something that I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying and I really hope I don't ever stop appreciating. Since moving out of London, I really notice the change in seasons more and I'm loving seeing these gentle changes as we go for walks through the nearby fields. I'm really enjoying pulling on my boots at hte moment and hauling my chocolate-filled person up a hill, feeling the burn of the cold air in my lungs. Well, the burn is either that or just the sheer quantity of chocolate I've eaten this Christmas. That should really be its own separate paragraph but hey, that's a given right?

Happy New Year, all! 

♥ Do let me know what's made your week/month a little rosier by leaving me a comment below or dropping me a tweet (I'm @happygoluckycat) or better yet, why not join the fabulous bunch of #WonderfulWednesday bloggers? Pop over to their blogs for a dose of mid-week happiness - SallyMichelleHelenKateJo, LauraSarahPetaElMimmiLynseyKatie and Em (I think that's everyone - shout at me if you're not on the list!) - and then join me in counting down the days until the weekend. It's in sight! 

5 comments

  1. What a wonderful December. I saw that Matt Haig quote too and thought it was great. Have you read any of his books? Notes on a Nervous Planet is brilliant.

    Well done for hosting dinner! I would have DIED. Too much hard work and stress, I wouldn't of been able to cope. ha! I hope everyone else helped with the clear up!

    Very jealous of your proximity to central London. Next December I am making a trip so I can go to the ballet.

    Have a lovely lovely January xx

    Lynsey || One More Slice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter walks are just lovely aren't they? I took lots when I was back home in the countryside. They whip me out of that slumber I always feel around Christmas.
    All of this list is just marvellous (especially puppy snuggles which pretty much always make my day).
    Happy New Year my lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas certainly does seem to pass by faster and faster, which only encourages me to celebrate earlier and earlier ;D Even though New Year has passed, I still feel like I'm in that time between Christmas and New Year; I love it and I want to hold onto it forever! Love that Matt Haig tweet :) // I don't usually visit museums, but I visited an art museum season because they had a special exhibition I wanted to check out. Leaving the museum, I found that I really enjoyed the experience (which I always seem to forget) and decided that I should visit more museums more often. I was chatting with a friend and we were saying how we'd like to spend money on more experiences rather than things. I've been traveling with family, which has been wonderful, and my friend has been watching quite a few Broadway shows! I haven't been to the ballet in years but I still remember the days I did ballet when I was little and danced in the Nutcracker. Speaking of which, I've also been wanting to watch The Nutcracker and the Four Realms... super belated haha. // In college, my roomie and I hosted a Secret Santa party one year because we were the only ones of our friends who had our own apartment off campus, and what we did for dinner was order take-out LOL // That reindeer ornament is so cutee. Happy New Year! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cat your temporary desk sounds perfect for now! I love that time between christmas and new year too. Your Winter walks sound delightful. I hope you're having a wonderful start to 2019.
    Sending lots of love and cat cuddles your way,
    Peta x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puppy spotting is ALWAYS a highlight for me :) Having your own creative space sounds lovely, I tend to use our dining table which isn't quite the same when you have to clear everything away to eat dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Happy Go Lucky Cat. Design by FCD.